September 30, 2014

Alba Botanica Natural Very Emollient Sunscreen SPF 30 (mineral protection kids)





Packaging/Pricing:


118g (4oz). Opaque plastic tube keeps product safe and sound. Retails for ~10-12$ US at whole food stores or on IHERB website (here). As you can tell by now, I do purchase quite a lot of skin care items on IHERB.com. They do have really big selection, prices are good and US shipping is super fast.


Ingredients:


Active: Zinc Oxide 14.5%, Titanium Dioxide 2%.
Other: Water, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Dimethicone, Ethylhexyl Palmitate, Sorbitan Sesquioleate, Glycerin, Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea Butter), Helianthus Annuus (Sunflower) Seed Oil, Simmondsia Chinensis (Jojoba) Seed Oil, Polyglyceryl-3 Ricinoleate, Vitis Vinifera (Grape) Seed Oil, Calendula Officinalis Flower Extract, Chamomilla Recutita Flower Extract, Magnesium Sulfate, Silica, Sodium Chloride, Tocopheryl Acetate, Benzyl Alcohol, Phenoxyethanol, Polyhydroxystearic acid.


Excellent (only beneficial ingredients, proven research)
Good (mostly beneficial, not extensive research or just not quite outstanding properties)
OK (mostly thickeners, emulsifiers, mild preservatives, pH adjusters, all that is necessary, but not a skincare per se) 
Bad (irritants and anything bad that shouldn't be in skincare, usually fragrance)

Ingredients Discussion:


[This is a body sunscreen. Usually I am not picky about body skin care.]
This product offers a range of oils and other emollients to keep your skin moisturised. Few plant extracts will serve as anti-irritants. But what I would like to see here is a range vitamins and cell-communicating ingredients. So formula is good, but not superb. No irritants or perfume is definitely a huge plus. Mineral actives offer excellent broad spectrum sun protection (so no complaints here).


Consumer Thoughts:


I am using this product on my neck/decolletage area, not on my body. I have to say, that I do not like this product at all. It is thick and very hard to spread. It almost takes me the same amount of time to blend this properly, as to do the rest of my skin care routine. It goes very patchy and refuses to move from the spot where you started to apply it. In the end I do blend it in, but I'm constantly afraid that there are actually gaps left for sun radiation to seep through. I cannot imagine anyone being able to apply it on a kid! Probably you can see from the foto, that I made quite an effort to work through it. But I give up.

Verdict:


Do not recommend! Would not repurchase. Ingredient list is not well rounded (though not bad). Application is horrible. 3 out of 5.

P.S.: Cruelty free.

No comments:

Post a Comment