May 8, 2015

L'Occitane Shea Cleansing Oil



I did a review on three cleansing oils before and talked a bit more about the whole concept. You can read more on that HERE. Usually I don't focus on the ingredient list too much, if it is a rinse off product, since none of the ingredients have time to penetrate the skin and work properly. I mostly monitor amount of irritants (since they still do harm the skin even in smaller amounts). Basically I review the cleansers from the standpoint whether I did or did not like it personally.

Packaging/Pricing:


200ml (6.7fl.oz) for 22$ (Sephora). It is not the cheapest products on the market, but I think it is quite reasonably priced among other cleansing oils from high end brands. The product comes in a clear plastic pump bottle. Since it is a cleanser (rinses off, doesn't stay on your face), I am not as concerned about keeping formulation safe from being exposed to UV rays.


Ingredients:



Helianthus Annuus (Sunflower) Seed Oil, Isopropyl Isostearate, PEG-40 Sorbitan Peroleate, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea) Butter, Adansonia Digitata (Baobab) Seed Oil, Fragrance, Tocopherol.



Excellent (very beneficial ingredients, proven research)
Good (mostly beneficial ingredients, not extensive research available or just not quite outstanding properties)
OK (mostly thickeners, emulsifiers, mild preservatives, pH adjusters, all that is necessary formulation wise, but not a skincare per se) 
Bad (anything that shouldn't be in skincare, irritants and fragrance)


Discussion:


The ingredient list is short and straight to the point. It contained three plain oils. Even though the name suggests that this product is based on shea butter, the main ingredient is actually sunflower oil (which I have nothing against). Other plant emollient oils are baobab oil and shea butter. Also there is an emulsifier/detergent to rinse off the product when water is added (it is one of the mild ones, so it shouldn't pose any problem).
This cleansing oil doesn't have preservatives, except a tiny amount of vitamin E. On the packaging manufacturer suggests to use it within 3 months after opening. I am not sure how to feel about it. Of course I am glad that there is no preservatives, that can irritate the skin, but such a short shelf life makes me a bit uncomfortable (I don't think I can use it up within 3 months, even using it every day).
Added fragrance is the only drawback really (but it is featured second to last on the list). I personally do not find the scent particularly amazing, but I don't mind it. 
As a make-up remover/cleanser I think this product is a good one. It does compare to my favourite cleansing oil by Tatcha, except the scent. Also it is 3 times cheaper. This cleanser removes make-up well and doesn't leave skin tight. One full pump is enough for my whole face.


Verdict:


I recommend this product (if you don't mind this particular scent).

5 out of 5.

No comments:

Post a Comment