January 21, 2015

Review & Comparison: Kiss My Face Face Factor SPF 30 vs Sensitive Side 3in1 SPF 30

Let me introduce one of the best sunscreen bargains I've found on the market. They are Kiss My Face sunscreen lotions with SPF 30. These products have outstanding ingredients, formulated without irritants and also fragrance free. Both retails for ~11-13$ at most healthy food stores and on IHERB.com. I use one for my face (Face Factor SPF 30) and the other one for my neck and chest (Sensitive Side SPF 30). There are two minor differences. First, Sensitive Side sunscreen comes with more product for the same price (118ml/4fl.oz vs 59ml/2fl.oz), so I prefer to use it on the larger areas. Second, it also features antioxidants a bit lower on the ingredient list than Face Factor lotion (so better one goes on the face). Other than that, they are both amazing products. 
A little bit about the company. It has "natural/organic" marketing approach, though they do use scientific research to formulate their products. So to speak, the best of both worlds. I wouldn't say all of their products are that well formulated, but they do have some outstanding products. They do not test on animals or have animal related ingredients. So for those of you who are concerned, they are cruelty free company.


Kiss My Face Face Factor SPF 30





Ingredients:

 

Actives: Octinoxate 7.5%, Octisalate 3%, Zinc Oxide 3%
Other: Acetyl Hexapeptide 8, Acrylates Copolymer, a-Lipoic Acid, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice, Ascorbyl Palmitate (Vit C), Camellia Sinensis (Green Tea) Leaf Extract, Caprylic/Capric Triglycerides, Carthamus Tinctorius (Safflower) Oleosomes, Cetearyl Olivate, Cetyl Alcohol, Cucumis Sativus (Cucumber) Fruit Extract, Dimethicone, Ethylhexylglycerin, Glycerin, Glyceryl Stearate SE, Glycyrrhiza Glabra (Licorice) Extract, Helianthus Annuus (Sunflower) Seed Oil, Linoleic acid, Phenoxyethanol, Polysorbate 20, Sodium Hyaluronate (Hyaluronic Acid), Sodium Hydroxide, Sorbitan Olivate, Stearyl Alcohol, Tocopheryl Acetate (Vit E), Water.


Excellent (only beneficial ingredients, proven research)
Good (mostly beneficial, not extensive research or just not quite outstanding properties)
OK (mostly thickeners, emulsifiers, mild preservatives, pH adjusters, all that is necessary, but not a skincare per se) 
Bad (irritants and anything bad that shouldn't be in skincare, usually fragrance)


Ingredients Discussion:

 

This sunscreen features mix of chemical and physical sunscreen actives, and provides a broad spectrum protection. Usually my eyes are sensitive to some chemical sunscreen ingredients, but these ones are fine. You are also provided with water-binding and skin-identical ingredients galore: hexapeptides, a-lipoic acid, aloe juice, capric triglycerides, safflower oleosomes, dimethicone, glycerin, sunflower oil and hyaluronic acid. This formula is more suited for someone with normal to dry skin. I find it actually not moisturizing enough for winter, but perfect for summer. I always look for nice range of antioxidants in my daily sunscreen, since they protect from environmental and UV damage (but they do not substitute sunscreen!). This lotion is loaded with antioxidants, and I am pleased to report that most of them are high on the list (like vitamin C, green tea extract and cucumber extract). Some present in minimal amount, like licorice extract and vitamin E, which is ok. No irritants and fragrance are present.



Kiss My Face Sensitive Side 3in1 Oat Protein Complex SPF 30

 



Ingredients: 

 

Actives: Octinoxate 7.50%; Octisalate 4.50%; Zinc Oxide 3.00%
Other: Water, Cetearyl Olivate, Sorbitan Olivate, Polysorbate-20, Helianthus Annuus (Sunflower Oil) Seed Oil, Glycerin, Acrylates Copolymer, Cetearyl Alcohol, Stearic Acid, Xanthan Gum, Carthamus Tinctorius (Safflower) Oleosomes, Avena Sativa (Oat) Protein, Camellia Sinensis (Green Tea) Leaf Extract, Carota Sativa (Carrot) Extract, Avena Sativa (Oat) Betaglucan, Glycrrhiza Glabra (Licorice) Extract, Cucumis Sativus (Cucumber) Extract, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Phenoxyethanol, Ethylhexylglycerin 

Excellent (only beneficial ingredients, proven research)
Good (mostly beneficial, not extensive research or just not quite outstanding properties)
OK (mostly thickeners, emulsifiers, mild preservatives, pH adjusters, all that is necessary, but not a skincare per se) 
Bad (irritants and anything bad that shouldn't be in skincare, usually fragrance)

Ingredients Discussion:

 

The formula is similar to the Face Factor sunscreen. This lotion has broad spectrum UV protection with mixture of physical and chemical actives. The formula is very moisturizing as well due to the presence of water-binding and skin-identical ingredients (sunflower oil, glycerin, safflower oleosomes, oat proteins and betaglucans). As I've already mentioned above, this product is less "loaded' than Face Factor lotion regarding both skin-identical ingredients and antioxidants. Here you get no vitamins. So mostly antioxidant protection comes from green tea, licorice and cucumber extracts, which are only in the second half of ingredient list. There are no irritants and fragrance in this formula.


Verdict:

 

I prefer Face Factor more, since it is a more sophisticated formula. But I would not disregard the Sensitive Side 3in1 sunscreen. I find that I go through 2oz bottle of sunscreen for my neck and chest too fast. I don't want to spend too much money, but I still want a good product nevertheless. That's why I chose Sensitive Side sunscreen for my decollete. So I will continue to buy both of this products in the future. In fact I am on my third bottle of Face Factor. They have changed formulation since I first started using it, but it actually have got better.

Face Factor 5 out of 5
Sensitive Side 5 out of 5

4 comments:

  1. They make the face factor in spf 50 now! Is that one just as good?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did try face factor spf 50 (reviewed here http://cosmeticschemistryaddict.blogspot.de/2015/05/kiss-my-face-face-factor-spf-50-i.html#more) It has very similar ingredient list, except lavender oil, which is not so good. As much as I like the idea of higher spf, I stick with the original face factor spf 30.

      Delete
  2. There's also a sport lip balm with spf 30!

    ReplyDelete